I’ve got to admit that I almost didn’t include this post today. As pound cakes go, this one was not quite up to snuff. Yep, it looked pretty good on the outside, but on the inside….
it left a lot to be desired! Instead of a traditional pound cake texture, this recipe yielded a very moist, dense, almost pudding like texture. Nope, this was not a pretty cake at all. But, oh the taste! Traditional Pound Cake taste but totally, completely Vegan and Gluten-Free! My dear hubby could not stop eating it! (Okay, so I admit that I had a few slices myself…after all, isn’t taste-testing a crucial part of food blogging?) I plan to make some adjustments to this recipe to see if I can get a more traditional Pound Cake texture and I’ll keep you posted. But, all in all, this Pound Cake is pretty doggone good!
VEGAN, GLUTEN-FREE POUND CAKE
1 1/2 cups All Purpose Gluten Free Flour (I used Bob’s Red Mill)
1 1/2 cups White Rice Flour (I used Bob’s Red Mill)
1 Teaspoon Xanthan gum
3/4 cup melted Coconut Oil
1 3/4 cup Pure Cane Sugar (make sure the brand is certified Vegan and GF)
1 1/2 c. Sparkling Water
3 Tablespoons Fresh Lemon Juice
1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract (make sure the brand is certified Vegan and GF)
1 Teaspoon Lemon Extract (make sure the brand is certified Vegan and GF)
1 can full fat Coconut Milk (13.66oz…I used Thai Kitchen Organic)
- Mix all dry ingredients in medium bowl.
- Mix all wet ingredients, except coconut milk, in a large bowl.
- Add coconut milk to mixture and beat, on medium speed for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add, a little at a time, the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Be sure to mix well to incorporate.
- Bake in greased and floured bundt pan for 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Invert on a cake plate and cool well before cutting.