A super nutritious sweet potato is baked, split and stuffed to the brim with a creamy mix of black beans, corn, avocado and nopales in an citrusy southwestern dressing. Delicious!
Prepare the Sweet Potatoes:
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Prepare your sweet potatoes. (I usually batch cook several sweet potatoes at a time. This way, we always have some on hand for breakfast, a quick snack or to give me a headstart on awesome recipes like this.) I have three favorite ways to cook my sweet potato. In the InstantPot. In the microwave (Don’t hate. The microwave is a legit timesaver and a useful tool.) or in the oven. Cooking in the oven, I can cook a lot of potatoes at one time for my weekly meals.
- This is how I oven-bake my sweet potatoes: Wash sweet potatoes and dry well. Line a baking sheet with foil. Prick your sweet potatoes each 2-3 time with a fork, then place them on the baking sheet. Bake for 45 minutes for sweet potatoes that are 2-3 inches in diameter. For sweet potatoes that are up to 4 inches in diameter, bake for an hour. For those gigantic sweet potatoes, bake for an hour and 15 minutes. After the projected time has passed, don’t open the oven but turn it off. Let the sweet potatoes sit in the oven for at least 30 minutes but up to an hour. Remove from the oven. If not using right away, store in a container in the refrigerator.
- Split potato lengthwise and top with the vegetable stuffing.
While the sweet potatoes are baking. Prepare the salad dressing.
- Peel, seed, and dice avocado and place in blender or food processor. Add garlic, salt, lime juice, water, vinegar, jalapeno, cumin and cilantro leaves. With the machine running, slowly drizzle in oil until a creamy emulsion forms. Oil can be omitted if desired. Just make sure the ingredients for the vinaigrette are well combined. Transfer vinaigrette to a small bowl or squeeze bottle. Use immediately or refrigerate leftovers for up to 2 days.
Preparing the Vegetable Stuffing:
Put all the ingredients for the vegetable stuffing in a large bowl. Add about 1/2 cup vinaigrette. Gently mix all ingredients, making sure the vegetables are evenly coated in the vinaigrette. Taste for seasoning, adding more vinaigrette, salt and pepper as desired.
Bringing it all together: Place about 1/2 – 3/4 cup of vegetable stuffing into pocket of each of the four sweet potatoes. Grab a fork and enjoy!
Refrigerate any leftovers.